Registration is open for 2023!!!
Race date: June 24-25, 2023
Each and every year, one of the world’s most beloved bugs visits Ohio – proudly announcing their arrival with random sparks and flickers of glowing neon throughout the summer sky.
Join us as we welcome and celebrate the most efficient light in the world… the firefly! (nearly 100% of the energy in the chemical reaction within the fireflies light organ is emitted light… it’s true)
Whether you’re looking to set a distance PR or just looking to run in the dark with some friends, “The Firefly Overnight Endurance Challenge and Sunset & Sunrise 10k” will offer you that opportunity with 12-hours of fully supported, overnight-racing throughout the ONLY trail in central Ohio built BY runners, FOR runners! Wait, what?!?! Overnight!?!?! Yes!
The race will start at 8pm, and it will be dark no matter which race you choose! So, even though the fireflies will help light your way, headlamps and/or flashlights are mandatory.
Bring your family and friends, as the course will pass through the overnight group-camping area.
Don’t forget the kids! They’ll have a race too! The kids mile will start promptly 30-minutes prior to the “big kids” race.
Reflective gear, glow-sticks, and body-paint are encouraged.
The Firefly Overnight Endurance Challenge, starts at 8:00pm, on the Rocks and Roots trail at Alum Creek. The clock stops at 8am for the overnight challenge. Only completed laps count towards mileage.
What: Overnight Endurance Challenge and Sunset & Sunrise 10k and Kids Mile
- Overnight Endurance Challenge –
- The Firefly Overnight Endurance Challenge, starts at 8:00pm on 6/24. The clock stops at 8am for the overnight challenge. Only completed laps during the 12 hour period count towards official mileage. If the clock runs out mid lap we highly encourage completing the extra credit lap for bragging rights only as sadly those miles will not count.
- THIS IS AN OVERNIGHT RACE. You must be comfortable running in the dark on a single-track trail. While the trail is very well marked it will be dark and wrong turns can be made. It is the participants responsibility to know they course and stay on the trail.
- Pacers are permitted AFTER the first 10K.
- Crew tents are permitted in a designated zone at the lap point.
- Emergency Contact # – 614.407.5122 – Should you need help while on the course call this number.
- Sunset 10K Ruck – Starts at 8pm on 6/24.
- Sunset 10K – Starts at 8pm on 6/24.
- Sunrise 10K – Starts at 8am on 6/25.
- Sunset & Sunrise Double – Participants in the dreaded Double race both the Sunset & Sunrise 10Ks! Individual race results are provided for the Sunset & Sunrise 10Ks along with combined scoring for the Double!
- FREE Kids 1 Mile Sunrise Trail Race – Starts at 7:30am on 6/25.
- Camping encouraged! See below for information on booking a campsite during registration!
- Beer Truck – Proceeds benefit Rocks and Roots Trail Runner’s Association
- Food Truck
- Pancake breakfast – Pancakes, sausage and coffee will be available from 7am-10am for $5.
- Optional Camping – Limited Sites Available! Available for Saturday night only!
- Optional camping is for a site at the Group Camp and Race Headquarters (all of about 50 ft from the start/finish).
- This is NOT at the Alum Creek Campground which is about 5 miles away.
- We will enforce quite time from 11pm-7am as we have families who join us for this event.
- Camping sites are NOT required.
- There is plenty of designated space available for spectators and drop bag tents for 50K & 50M participants.
- However, you may opt to reserve a tent site for $25. Sites are approximately 15ft x 15ft.
- Two breakfast tickets included with camping reservation.
The Race Site: Unlike other RRTRA events this event will start and finish at the Alum Creek State Park Group Campsite, which is located just off of Lewis Center Rd and just north of the beach entrance.
|Sunset 10K||Sunrise 10K||Sunset & Sunrise Double||Endurance Challenge||1 Mile Kids Run|
|Through March 31st||$45||$45||$60||$60||$5|
|April 1st-April 30th||$50||$50||$65||$65||$10|
|May 1st-May 31st||$55||$55||$70||$70||$15|
|June 1st-Race Day||$60||$60||$75||$75||$15|
Please note: The Firefly Trail Race has a NO REFUND and NO BIB TRANSFER policy for all events.
What do you get?
- Sunset 10K, Sunrise 10K, Sunset & Sunrise Double, or Overnight Endurance or Ruck Challenge
- We also offer 1 a mile Kids Trail Race at Sunrise!
- Event Shirt
- Finisher’s Medal
Packet pickup will be held at Fleet Feet Sports in Lewis Center before the event on Thursday, June 22nd through Friday, June 23rd during normal business hours.
Race day packet pickup will beginning at 6pm at the race site at Alum Creek State Park.
The course: Endurance Challenge repeats loop as necessary. Endurance Challenge participants are scored on the last COMPLETED lap. No partial lap credit given. Race ends at 8am on Sunday. Click here for the course map.